Friday, April 10, 2009

Onion Strings

Everyone in the family loves onion rings, but I have never been able to make any that were making again, and frozen onion rings are not only expensive but not that great for you. So we usually only had onion rings when we went out to dinner, and that really isn't very often.

So you can imagine my delight when I stumbled on this recipe for onion strings. I just knew I had to give it a try. And boy am I glad I did. These were delicious! So much so I just had to share.

  • 1 large onion
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 Tbsp Sea Salt
  • 2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 quarts peanut oil

Slice the onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and let set for at least an hour.

Heat oil to 375 degrees.

While oil is heating combine the dry ingredients.

Once oil has reached 375 degrees, grab a handful of onions and toss in the flour mixture to coat. Shake off excess and plunge into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain and place in a warm oven. Continue until all onions are cooked.

These didn't take much time. And there really wasn't a huge mess. Everyone gave these Onion Strings a big thumbs up. You will be seeing them on our menu plans regularly.


1 comment:

  1. These look soooo good! I love onion rings and I am going to try these out tonight.... I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.