Sunday, May 20, 2012

DIY Mason Jars with Straw Lids - Summer Perfect Drink Container

With summer coming I have been looking for some lidded beverage glasses for a while.  I knew I didn't want plastic and there weren't many other choices out there.  I wanted lids for the little ones that always seem to spill their drinks and for everyone else to keep the bugs and stuff out.

I had been seeing these converted mason jars on the web but the prices on Etsy were way out of my range.  Others were using paper and cutting a slit for the straw.  Ok that would work for the bugs, but not the spills and really seemed like too much work.  I wanted something cheap frugal and reusable.

Thanks to my brilliant husband, the answer was more than simple it was very reasonable too!  And he even ended up doing most of the work, if you can really call it that.


Hannah "dimpled" the lid in the center.  This was done so the drill bit would have a place to rest and not jump.  Don't know if you really need to do this, but it worked and gave Hannah a job!


Then Doug drilled a hole through the lid.  He used a 3/8" bite.  It is hard to see but there is a scrap piece of wood under the lid.  He DID NOT drill right on the kitchen table.


I inserted the rubber grommets.  It was easy to do, but I couldn't take pictures and do it at the same time.  We found the grommets at Lowes in the fasteners aisle.  They come two in a package.  We bought the 9/16th size.  This fits a standard plastic straw perfectly.


Of course Rebekah couldn't wait to try out her new cup.

We made a set of six.  And seriously it took us all of about 10 minutes with all of us having a job.  And better yet the whole project cost $4.12.  That's 69¢ each!  And it would have been a lot less, but I couldn't resist the red and white check lids.  They scream summer, don't you agree?

Here's how it broke down:

  • Mason Jars - in the pantry
  • Lids - package of 6 on sale of $1.00
  • Grommets - package of 2 for $1.04 bought three packages
Now I would like to add some reusable straws to complete the project.  I have seen both glass and stainless that I like, but I'm not sure which way to go.  The glass ones are definitely more pricey and I wonder about them with kids.  I'd love to hear what you all think.  Do you have reusable plastic, glass or stainless straws?  What do you love or hate about them?

I'm linking up with the Homestead Barn Hop, Make A Move MondayLiving Green Link-upSustainable Ways Wednesday and Creative Friday!

21 comments:

  1. Have been wanting to do this project too! Thanks for the tips!! I have stainless straws saved in my amazon cart right now, I choose them because they have a cleaning brush that comes along with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, I have both the stainless and glass on my amazon wish list. Both come with the cleaning brush.

      Delete
  2. These are so cute! I agree, the red and white lids were worth the extra cost! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea! Love those lids ;-) At the moment I use plastic straws (I have a lot left to get through yet) and wash them afterwards to use again; I can do this because Daughter is beyond the age when you feel the need to chew the straw and flatten it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few plastic straws that we are washing as well. I want to order some reusable straws before they are gone.

      Delete
  4. I bought 4 stainless steel straws about 3 months ago, and I use them daily (for smoothies). I was just thinking this morning how glad I am that I bought them. That said, my 6-year-old and my husband prefer the plastic because it's softer. I think it's just what they're used to, because I love the stainless steel. At least one convert, I guess, is better than none. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you love your straws. I think I'm going to go with the stainless as well.

      Delete
  5. I've been making these using spaghetti sauce jars. I love them! I've also got the stainless straws in my cart on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your jars! I would have gone for the checked lids too. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea - so cool!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really cute. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love my stainless steel straws that I just bought! They work great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would use plastic jars, like peanut butter, so that they wouldn't brake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool idea but that doesn't look as cool as the glass jars.

      Delete
  11. Awesome post! I want to make those for our mini halloween party. Where did you buy those gingham lids? I have been trying to google them but nothing comes up :< Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the gingham lids at Walmart, they are better homes and garden brand. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  12. What a great idea. Now, it just needs to warm up so we can put some lemonade in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. where did you get the checkered lids???

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking that you could cover the center of the lid with contact paper print of your choosing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.