Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Yarn Along

Joining in the fun of the weekly Yarn Along hosted by Ginny over at Small Things. In Ginny's words:


~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us! ~


So good to be back knitting, reading and sharing with this wonderful community.  I finally figured out my issue with the Hetty and now am moving right along.  It is hard to see the detail in the photo, but I am really loving the  seed stitch accent.  The next section is straight knitting to get the length and should go quite quickly if I can carve out the time to knit.

I've also managed to get back to hitting the books after letting my studies laps during Sarah's play.  I am excited to get back to it.  I love learning and herbal medicine is something that I am growing more and more passionate about. This unit is one vaccination, a subject that had always interested me.  I wont get into it here as it is a big and hotly debated topic.  What I will say is that I wish both side would stop using scare tactics and really present the facts.  I truly hope parents do their research as well as know and understand their options when it comes to vaccination.


The Teenage Liberation Handbook is more for Sarah than for me.  She is such a creative, talented and alive soul.  I love how the world is opening up to her and she is discovering herself.  I want her to keep growing and searching to find her true self and not who society says she should be or how she should get there.  I firmly believe that education is a journey in and of itself and should NOT be the ends to a means.  I want these high school years to be a time of self discovery propelled by interest driven learning and self education, and not the "required" subject list.  Did any of us really love those required courses?   Ok, now I'm hoping this book is all that it has been cracked up to be.  I'll be sharing more soon.


Don't forget to stop by the Yarn Along to see what everyone else is knitting and reading.  There is always an abundance of inspiration.

10 comments:

  1. Your Hetty look so pretty Elizabeth. I have never knit the seed stitch so had to look it up and it does look lovely.
    Your books sound interesting. I really like how you said "that education is a journey in and of itself and should NOT be the ends to a means.". so very true.
    Have a great yarn along day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I have only been knitting for a couple of years so I still try to do something new in most of my projects. This was the first time I had knit seed stitch, and I really like the way it look.

      Delete
  2. We remind the kids that we are still learning every day (despite being so old.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this! We are always learning here too. I have always said in home educating my children that I was more concerned that they love to learn and know how to learn and communicate than with the actual "stuff" they learned.

      Delete
  3. your hetty is lovely!!! (have you stumbled into the blog rowanandoak? Amber is an herbalist, and does real indepth posts--and has gorgeous photography. you might enjoy it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, thanks for recommending rowanandoak, I stopped by and subscribed. It is lovely.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous color of blue yarn! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it should really bring out my little one's blue eyes.

      Delete
  5. I agree. Scare tactics on either side is not good. Sort of reminds me of the use of fallacies we will be learning about next year in homeschool. And yay for the progress on the Hetty project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Elizabeth, thank you for visiting my blog. I'm happy to discover your beautiful blog. So many interesting posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.