Sunday, May 27, 2012

Roasted Cauliflower

The other day I saw a chart posted of Facebook that was talking about the best way to cook vegetables. Of course this intrigued, so I enlarged the chart. me.  Boy was I disappointed when I realized that it only talked about three methods - boiling, steaming and microwaving.  Really folks ~ microwaving  as one of the top way to cook your veggies.  I will say that the chart did rank steaming as the best more often than not.  But really there is a lot lacking here.  Every time I hear someone say they don't like vegetable I wonder how that can possibly be.  Veggies are delicious and there are so many there has to be a few to like!  Then I come across something that promotes boiling or microwaving veggies and I start to get the dislike of veggies, well sort of.

So I thought I would share one of our favorite and easy way to cook our veggies.  Roasting!


Don't you just love all the colors that cauliflower comes in?  This is just so pretty, how could it not be yummy?  And it's quite nutritious too packed with vitamins C and B complex, fiber, potassium and calcium and antioxidants.

Ingredients

  • 1 head purple cauliflower
  • 1 head yellow cauliflower
  • 1 head green cauliflower
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • sea salt to taste
  • 3 Tbsp grapeseed oil
  • Parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Clean cauliflower and cut into bite size pieces.  In a large bowl toss the cauliflower, garlic, salt and grapeseed oil.  Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan.  Roast in oven until golden brown about 20 minutes.  Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.



Sorry about the crummy after photo.  Dinner ended up delayed a bit and the veggies stayed in the oven too long.  Between that and the horrible light with a later than normal dinner and you get a crummy photo.  But be assured the cauliflower was still yummy.  The girls were all picking at it before we'd even had a chance to say our blessings.

This is a great method for other veggies as well.  We love roasted broccoli, asparagus,  carrots, eggplant and oh so many more.  I hope you'll about to throw your veggies into a pot of boiling water or press start on the microwave you will think again.

I'm linking up with Make Your Own Monday and Scratch Cooking Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Roasting is the way I go too, I especially love slow roasted beets, yum!
    Microwave my veggies? Never! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a REALLY good chance that this is hands-down my favorite way to eat any veggie. Especially cauliflower. And broccoli. And everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.