Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sloppy Joe Crescent Casserole

I have had a few requests for this recipe so I thought it was time that I shared it. The original idea came from my mother-in-law. I've tweaked it for my family. I hope you will do the same.



  • 1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef or turkey
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 green pepper chopped
  • 14 ox can diced tomatoes
  • 6oz can tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 heaping tsp powdered mustard
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
  • 3 Tbsp molasses
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 tubes (8oz each) crescent rolls
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • milk
  • sesame seeds




    • In a heavy skillet brown the meat along with the onion and green pepper. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, ketchup, powdered mustard, chili powder, molasses, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5-10 minutes adding a little water if id gets too dry. Of course you can stop right here and serve this over hamburger rolls.




      Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 9"x13" pan. Open on of the tubes of crescent rolls and press the seems together to make a large rectangle. Lay in the bottom of prepared pan. Spoon meat mixture on top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.


      Open the second tube of crescent rolls and press seams together. Place on top of cheese. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.
      Of course you can make this casserole using your sloppy joe mixture. My mother-in-law made the original recipe with a sloppy joe seasoning packet from McCormick. Do what works for you.

      3 comments:

      1. This not only looks fantastic, but I love recipes that can be changed and added to! I'll definitely make this over the weekend! Thank you!!

        ReplyDelete
      2. I can't believe you "buy" crescent rolls in a CAN!!!

        ReplyDelete

      Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.