Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wild Maine Blueberry Vanilla Muffins

Anyone who knows me knows I love to cook and bake. Sarah has been asking for blueberry muffins for a while now and of course I oblige and make them. However I could tell my attempts were not satisfying her craving. That is until today. This morning I made these heavenly muffins, adapting a recipe from Stonyfield yogurt.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (vegetable oil would work)
  • 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice crystals
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups wild Maine blueberries ( our are actually NH blueberries, but most people know the small wild berries as Maine blueberries - go figure)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter 12 muffin tins (I use the Pampered Chef muffin stone). In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In another bowl mix the yogurt and baking powder. Set a side. It will start to get frothy. In a third bowl beat the egg. Next add the oil, sugar, vanilla and combine. To this, gradually add the flour mixture alternating with the yogurt mixture. Stir until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake for about 25 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack for a couple of minutes before serving.

These muffins were quick and easy and really quite good for you. I was planning on freezing some to see how they would fair, but there weren't any left. So next time I will double the batch.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. These look and sound yummy! Can't wait to give them a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! you posted the recipe!! These were soooo yummy can't wait to make them! I was going to call and ask for the recipe!
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing on Creative Friday!
    Warmly
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where would I get evaporated cane juice crystals?? Also if I wanted to use sugar or stevia, how much would I need?? thanks!!! can't wait to try these out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.