Friday, March 27, 2009

Sourdough Bread

One of the lovely ladies at church gave me some sourdough starter. The girls and I have had a wonderful time experimenting with it. First we made two delicious loaves of light not to sour sourdough. The girls have been begging me to me to make cinnamon raisin swirl bread. So when our started was ready to make more bread we did a loaf of plain and one of cinnamon raisin. You can see by the picture that my cinnamon raisin needs a little help. I had a little trouble rolling the dough thin enough to get a good swirl of cinnamon and raisin. I'm not sure if it was the dough or the fact that I was making it too late at night. I ended up baking it at 3 o'clock am when Rebekah decided she needed the entire bed and kicked me out. It was a good thing actually, because if it had risen until I got up this morning I think it would have been a mess. And waking up to bread only a few hours old was fabulous. We had the cinnamon raisin as toast to go along with our green smoothies for breakfast.

Next batch I want to try to make rolls. I am hoping I will be able to freeze them after the first rising and have the second rising take place while they thaw. This will make it easy to have fresh baked rolls anytime. I'll let you know how they turn out.

I would share the recipe, but I don't know how to make the starter. If you are local and would like some I would be happy to share. Just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.