Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Garden Update ~ June 12th

The garden, in the past I have had a love-hate relationship with out garden.  However, this year I must say I am truly in love for now.  We started a little slow as we were trying to find someone with a tiller.  We didn't garden last year and so our spot was really in need of some TLC.  We were blessed when a family from down the way came with their tiller and not only tilled the older garden area but expanded it!  Yea!  More to love or hate.  At that point I wasn't sure what it would be.

Then we were blessed with some organic tomato and pepper plants!  Wow are these plants beautiful.  And having been started by someone who knows what they are doing we should have tomatoes and peppers before September.


See this little beauty of a tomato!!!!!  In my garden before the middle of June we have tomatoes!  And not just the lone one, but at least dozen, probably more!!!!!  I will say we had a scary few days last week when all it did was rain.  However I think we made it through with just a little yellowing of the bottom leaves.


And here is the lone pepper at the moment.  A few more flowers and lot of buds, so I'm confident the peppers will be producing well.


I've dreamed of an herb garden for a long time, and this year marked the start of it.  It is hard to see but there are chives, tarragon, chamomile, basil, parsley, oregano, comfrey,  lavender, rosemary, and lemon verbena.  Yes, I am excited about this little garden.


These are the wild black raspberries!  It looks like it will be a bumper crop.  I will share with all the birds and bears, but I sure hope I get to them first. In a couple of weeks we will have to head up the mountain and check on the wild black berries.  I love living in an area where we can wild forage to much.


The blueberry bush in the back yard is loaded with berries.  I need to get it covered before it is pick clean by the birds.  I'm hoping the wild blueberries will be just a full.  That's a hike up another mountain.  Oh how we love the Foss Mountain blueberries.  And I just brought the last bag in from the outside freezer.  We almost made it through the year.

There is a bunch of other stuff growing in the garden ~ red and green cabbage, cucumbers, pumpkins, green beans, carrots and lettuce.  All yummy stuff.  The girls and I have been out tending to our baby every day.  Lots of weeding and watering at this point.  We are hoping it turns to lots of harvesting in the near future.

So do you have a garden?  I know lots of you do.  I'd love to hear about what you are growing and harvesting.  Also if you are able to wildharvest in your area I'd love to hear about that, too.

Don't forget my little one's giveaway!  There is still time to enter and she'd be thrilled if you'd enter.  CLOSED

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! I wish we could do berries here but I'm not sure they'd like the heat. Love the side garden of herbs. I'm dreaming of a space out front for herbs.

    Here's ours. http://chocoeyes.blogspot.com/2012/06/garden-update.html

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your berries look great!!! ♥ We have one blackberry bush, but it just has a few on it right now. We did get some grapevines with grapes on them planted....growing up the chicken coop. Thankfully the chickens don't both them..........yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.