Thursday, June 21, 2012

Banana Maple Walnut Ice Cream

Summer sure arrived with a bang this year.  Over night the temperatures when from the 70's to the high 90's!  So it was time to find some cool treats and fast.  Now my family loves treats!  I'm mean who's doesn't.  But this mama isn't always thrilled with all the stuff in commercial treats!  So I really shy away from store pop-cycles and such.  So what's a mama to do?  Whip up some Banana Maple Walnut ice cream of course.  This treat is so quick and easy and healthy too.  You could even serve it for breakfast.  Heck, I had it for dinner tonight while the rest of the family was gone.

Banana Maple Walnut Ice Cream

3 frozen bananas
1/4 cup walnut pieces
maple syrup to taste, about 1-3 tsp depending on how sweet you like it



Put the banana into the bowl of your food processor.  Being to pulse at 5-10 second intervals.  You don't want to let the food processor run continuously as the heat with melt the bananas.  When the banana is about half smooth mush and half chunks throw in half the nuts.  Process in pulses again.  Next drizzle in the maple syrup.  All let's left to do is fold in the rest of the nuts.  If you don't like large chunks of nut you can put them all in earlier.



Scoop and serve!  That's it!  And it it hadn't been 93 degrees in my kitchen, it wouldn't look like such a melted mess.  But do looks really matter when something is this good?  I think not!  This made on BIG serving, two normal servings or three kid size servings.  Adjust the amount of ingredients to your needs.



Of course the options are endless.  You can do peanut butter and banana, chocolate banana, coconut banana.  Really let your imagination and taste-buds run wild.  I'd love to hear what combinations you come up with.

Linking up at Country Mama Cooks, Make Your Own MondayHomestead Barn Hop, and Scratch Cooking Tuesday.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my Elizabeth, that looks just wonderful and the best part is I already have frozen bananas in freezer.
    I have been taking 1 cup frozen mango and blending it with 1/2 cups canned coconut milk which has been really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mango and coconut milk sound wonderful. I will have to give that one a try. We really like this one, because we always seem to have frozen bananas.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. This is a great idea...I am going to have to try this!


    With All That I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it as much as we do. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Wow... can it really be this simple? Im totally going to have to make this soon, both for us and for some friends of ours who cant have dairy. I'll be pinning this for sure. :)

    Found you through the Saturday link and greet party. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy simple isn't it. I hope you and your friends enjoy! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this with my readers on Saturday and Sunday Sharing. I know they will just love it. Something yummy and good for you. This gets two thumbs up from me. I was looking at my Bananas this morning thinking of your recipe.

    With All That I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Have you ever seen the Yonana machine? We have one, and it works great! It turns any fruit into the consistency of soft serve ice cream!
    You'll have to come over and play around with it sometime.
    Love, Dayna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never seen the Yonana machine, actually never heard of it. Had to google it. Would love to come and play.

      Delete
  6. wow. it's really a good contribution to us guys not good at icecream, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it's not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to winter jackets

    visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.