Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spinach, Orange and Mushroom Salad


This has been one of my favorite salads since I was a little girl. My mom used to make this every year for Christmas Eve dinner. I actually don't remember having it any other time of the year. And I'm not sure why because it is really simple to throw together. It is now a standard salad in my house and the girls love it as much as I did growing up.

We were blessed this week with two packages of organic baby spinach, button mushrooms and a 5lb bag of organic oranges, and so I knew that this salad would end up on the menu at least once.

Toss together baby spinach, sliced button mushrooms, and orange sections that have been cut into bite size pieces. You could also use mandarin oranges or clementines.

The dressing is just as simple:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp chopped onion
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp powdered mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper

Toss is all in a jar with a tight lid and shake. The dressing is better after a couple of hours to let the flavors blend. And it keeps in the fridge for . . . well I'm not sure as it never lasts that long. But for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.