Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Spinach Quiche

This was one of those dinners where I was trying to clean out the fridge and I really wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I found a recipe on line to use as a jumping off point, but didn't have all the ingredients it called for, so I was sort of one my own. The result? One of the best quiches I have ever had! Everyone loved it, even the picky one in the middle.

Ingredients:

3Tbsp butter

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

10 oz fresh baby spinach (could use frozen, thawed and drained)

1 can mushrooms, drained ( could use fresh)

1tsp each of basil, oregano, and parsley (use the herbs your family likes)

8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese

salt and pepper to taste

4 eggs, beaten

1 cup milk

9 in unbaked deep dish pie crust

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium fry pan, melt the butter and saute the garlic and onion until lightly browned. Add the spinach and wilt. Add mushrooms, herbs and half of the cheddar cheese. Stir until heated through and the cheese had melted. Season with slat and pepper and spoon into the pie crust.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pie shell. Let it sit for a minute to make sure that the egg mixture has soaked through the spinach layer.

Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.

I served this with sausage patties and biscuits. This quiche was filling enough and rich enough that we could have done without the sausage. Next time I will serve it with fruit salad. It would also be awesome with shrimp!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I made this quiche for our family supper tonight. And WOW! My husband came home late from work and he was so excited about all the smells and even more pleased with the taste. I happened to have some baby spinach that was about to go past its date, so this really was the perfect thing to cook.

    Thanks for posting it!!

    ~Shaye

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.