- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 quart chicken stock (homemade is best)
- sea salt to taste
- 1 1/2 by leaves
- 2-3 cups of cooked chicken, cut in bite size pieces or shredded
- 4 carrots, sliced thickly
- 4 celery stalks, 3/4" pieces
- 2-3 potatoes, large cubes
- freshly ground pepper to taste
In a large dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent. Next add the flour and stir until it just begins to brown and has a lightly toasted aroma.
Whisk in the stock and bring to a simmer. Next add the salt, bay leaves, chicken, carrots, celery, and potato. Simmer until carrot and potato are cooked, about 1 hour. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
I served this with choux dumplings. And boy did it hit the spot. Everyone was warm and toasty eating stew infront of the wood stove.