Friday, February 11, 2011

Black Bean Burritos


I am always on the look out for healthy, frugal meals that my family will more than eat, love. Mexican food is a favorite here, or at least our take on Mexican - Tacos. However, one can only eat tacos so often. First I get board preparing as well as eating the same food over and over. And secondly, we can eat A LOT of tacos. It never seems to be a frugal meal. The first solution to the taco eating frenzy was Taco Pie. All the yummy flavors of tacos and for a reason I still can't understand we don't eat as much. Next up on the Mexican meal plan was to make burritos. After playing around with our favorite ingredients we have a yummy, healthy, and frugal meal that EVERYONE loves!

Filling
  • 2 cans refreied beans or equivalent homemade
  • 2 cups black beans
  • 3/4 cup salsa
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 2 TBSP homemade taco seasoning
  • 2 TBSP cumin
Mix all ingredients well. You can heat these on the stove top or you can heat the finished burritos in the oven.
Tortilla - we make our own. You can find the recipe here. I usually make about 8 tortillas from my recipe, they are a little large so you can roll the burritos. Or you can use your favorite brand.
Spoon a good size amount onto the center of the tortilla. Roll and fold in the ends. Place folded burritos in a hot, buttered griddle. Cook until brown and then flip to brown the other side. I place the finished burritos in the oven until I have then all grilled.
Serve with your favorite toppings: salsa, sour cream, lettuce, more cheese, black olives and jalapenos!
Remember this is definitely just a starting place. Adjust the spices, toppings, kind of cheese, heat of salsa to your family's tastes.
I hope you enjoy our take on Mexican - New England style.
This recipe is included on Full Plate Thursday. You really should hop on over there are lots of fabulous recipes.

3 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I love any Spanish,Mexican,Latin type dish.I am not too great with real hot and spicy but my husband sure enjoys it!
    I have found some great recipes from a Tv show called Mad Hungry a Martha Stewart produced program.
    Also a blog I follow from Greece her name is Katerina you will see her in my followers list and the blogs I follow.She has so many great meals.
    Thanks for stopping by and I hope you will visit again real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,
    We love Burittos and your Black Bean Burittos look very good, I can almost taste them. Thank you so much for bringing them to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.