Saturday, October 1, 2011

Menu Plan Monday ~ Week of October 2nd




Simplicity has been a big word around here lately. The whirlwind that life has become just doesn't appeal to me. I long for the slower days of years gone by. Where gathering around the table to a home cooked meal was a daily event, not one that just happened at the holidays. However, with three busy girls and a husband with a crazy schedule that isn't always easy. So I have set out to simplify my meal plans a bit.


I have been loving adding a wider variety of grains to our diet. So I am planning to continue trying to follow the daily grain. I'm still looking for millet, barley and rye recipes so please share if you have any fabulous and kid friendly ones. The next step in simplifying the menu is having a category for each day's evening meal. Once I assigned a day a category, I made up index card for each day with our favorite meals. Now I quick look at the index cards and I can plug dinners in quickly. I think we will end up with more variety as I often get stuck in a rut and make the same chicken, rice and veggie or casserole far to often. Of course I will still be on the look out for new family favorites. This is only week one for this new little plan so only time will tell if it really simplifies things a bit.


Sunday~wheat/roast
Breakfast: Cinnamon Toast and Yogurt
Lunch: Leftovers
Dinner: Ham, Mashed Potatoes and Glazed Carrots

Monday~rice/pasta
Breakfast: Poached Eggs on Toast
Lunch: Roasted Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese
Dinner: Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Shells, Salad, and Garlic Bread

Tuesday~barley/casserole
Breakfast: Barley Porridge with Honeyed Almonds and Roasted Apples
Lunch: Creamy Mac & Cheese with
Dinner: Chicken Divan with 90 Minute Rolls

Wednesday~millet/soup
Breakfast: Pumpkin Muffins
Lunch: Perform It Picnic
Dinner: Ham and Bean Soup with Corn Bread

Thursday~rye/meat-starch-veggie
Breakfast: Oatmeal Bar with all the Fixings
Lunch: Ham Salad Sandwiches on Rye Bread
Dinner: Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy, Fried Potatoes and Green Beans

Friday~oats/pizza,burger,sandwich
Breakfast: Oatmeal and Fruit Scones
Lunch: Fryeburg Fair
Dinner: Hot Dogs, Baked Beans and Corn

Saturday~corn/Mexican or Chinese
Breakfast: French Toast with Sausage
Lunch: Leftovers
Dinner: Tacos

So do you have any menu planning tips or tricks? I'd love to hear what works for your family. And if you haven't taken the plunge into menu planning you really should. You can find more inspriation at Menu Planning Monday hosted by I'm an Organizing Junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.