Saturday, October 2, 2010

Let's Make a Quilt

{Colorbrick} a beginner's Quilt-Along



I'm so excited to being joining Rachel over at Stiched in Color for her quilt along. I haven't made a quilt only made one quilt in my life and it was a long time ago. I've done a lot of sewing since then, but quilts still intimidate me. So when Rachel decided to host a quilt along inspired by her Colorblock quilt I jumped at the chance to join in the fun. And there is still time for you to join as well. So far Rachel has talked about choosing and preparing your fabrics. Next week we start cutting. I have to admit I'm a little nervous.


Picking fabric is always fun, but something I'm not great at. I just don't have that eye for color that some of you do, but I did fall in love with Moda's Prayer Flag. Blessed as an early birthday present I now have 36 gorgeous fat quarters in blues, greens, reds and yellows - enough to make THREE colorblock quilts. My problem? I'm not sure how to group the fabrics. This is where I fail. I just don't see how they go together. So I am asking for your help.




So here are my fabrics all laid out in what could be three quilts. But I'm just not sure. I divided the fabrics evenly by color and print and so I will have three very similar looking quilts. Rachel suggested grouping colors together for a blue and yellow quilt, a quilt that's green-blue and red or one using mostly red. Oh the decisions! So what would you do? I'd love to hear how you would group them together.



Off to iron all these plus the backing and sashing fabric.



Oh and if you are interested in some fabric for yourself, there is a lovely giveaway for hand dyed fabric at The Handmaden.


UPDATE: After ironing I played with the fabrics a bit and came up with two possibilities. The fist one using the blues and reds is my favorite . . . I think.

And then there is the green, blue and yellow.



Funny thing is what is left over is not gong to make a third quilt. So now what?!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I really like that first one! I know it's hard, but keep playing with it. You're training your eyes to find what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pillow cases, pillows, tote bags. I just judged the kids quilts at Sandwich Fair. That' what they made with leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.