Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Foss Mountain Blueberries

Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits - by the handful or in muffins, pancakes, yogurt, smoothies, and of course pie! So when rumor had it that the wild low bush blueberries on Foss Mountain were more than abundant this year our homeschool group just had to go and see I mean pick. After a short hike up Foss Mountain we found ourselves in oceans of blueberries. Oh I could have picked for hours, unfortunately the kids didn't agree. So after a couple of hours in the blistering sun, we hiked down the mountain promising to return. And we did the next evening armed with dinner and bug spray. A few hours later we were full from our picnic dinner and desert of blueberries and had buckets full of beautiful blueberries.

Cleaned and picked over we ended up with about 20 cups of berries! Here are 17 cups ready for the freezer. I love having little bits of summer in the freezer to add to meals when the mercury dips below freezing.

Sorry there aren't any pictures of us picking. I couldn't bear to stop and snap the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I look forward to your thoughts.